Nov 19

Crossing the Gulf Stream and arriving in the Bahamas!

by Nicky in Adventures, Sailing

We did it!! Our first big crossing in little yacht Pako.

We didn’t really know what to expect as we had reports of the Gulf Stream being a tiger or pussy cat depending on the conditions, we hoped the tiger didn’t raise its head for our crossing. But we had been following the weather and waiting and waiting for the right winds and Tuesday 3am in the morning seemed right. It was quite eery coming out of the Biscayne channel in the dark and shining a flashlight to find the channel markers. I was the torch shiner and A was the skipper. I have to be honest I had feelings of excitement and complete terror and was very happy when the sun finally came up and we could see our surroundings:)

The crossing was relatively smooth sailing, beautiful to be out on the open ocean with nothing in sight but water all around. But of course there had to be some drama in the day….and it all happened at once. A was trawling a fishing line out the back of the boat and suddenly we heard zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….what followed was a flurry of excitement and panic. Adrian was bringing in a huge beautiful Mahi-Mahi (Dolphin fish), I was steering and trying to take photos and then the main sheet shackle broke and detached from the boom… Fish, blood, crazy maniac swinging boom, lots of shouting…trying desperately to find the right bits to fix the boom, wind howling and trying to steer into the wind. NOT FUN (but we did have fresh fish for dinner:))

When land was in sight and the sea started to change to the most magnificent colour, all worries of the day disappeared as we took in the magic of the Bahamas water…blue blue blue….sea and sky melting into one, I can’t even begin to describe the beauty!

We spent a night in the gorgeous little town of Bimini and experienced the Caribbean vibe. It felt good to be in this slower pace of life, where there are no worries.

A day and night of sailing on the beautiful calm Bahamian waters and we have arrived in Nassau to do our last stock up before we really do go off the charts….

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “Crossing the Gulf Stream and arriving in the Bahamas!”

1. From Danie hugo:

once again, awesome work!

Posted on 19. Nov, 2010 at 4:15 am #
  2. From saartjie:

YAAAAYYYYYY!!!! I can’t tell you how happy this makes me :) What a fabulous list of firsts! Keep sending through the news to whet our appetites. Love to you both

Posted on 19. Nov, 2010 at 6:24 am #
  3. From James Gradwell:

Hey guys,

Absolutely amazing, Wahhhhoooooo hats off to you guys!!!!! I sit behind this screen very green lol I wish you all the best for the adventures ahead, wow to be in the Caribeean right now fan-bloody-tastic :-) ))) Buena suerte y viaje seguro

Posted on 19. Nov, 2010 at 7:06 am #
  4. From Jo Campbell:

Hi Nicky and A
    Well done! Wow, what an achievement! I’m glad you arrived safely in the Bahamas! It looks so beautiful and I am very jealous of your adventure.
    A – what an awesome fish. Definitely a photo for the albums :)
    Keep well and I look forward to hearing about your next expedition!
    Lots love xx

Posted on 19. Nov, 2010 at 7:24 am #
  5. From Pat Truyens:

Hi you 2. Wow it all looks so stunning. Beautiful big fish! Who had to scale & gut it? Know that was always guppa’s job, Gran only cooked them. Sorry I missed your birthday on the 14th Nicks. Very happy belated birthday wishes.
    Love Pat

Posted on 19. Nov, 2010 at 1:10 pm #
  6. From Dan Dob:

Fantastic blog and photos! Well done. I can only imagine what it was like trying to get the pictures, steer, fix and sail all at the same time. Still, I wonder if that fish was just a photoshop trick ;)

Posted on 20. Nov, 2010 at 8:44 am #
  7. From Barry & Wendy Cullen:

Great! We hugely enjoyed the yarn of your crossing to Bimini. As T&R are down in Betty’s, Wendy read the story to Rosalind and described your beautiful pics. (They’ll see all on Monday.) Enjoy the Bahamas ………

Posted on 20. Nov, 2010 at 11:43 am #
  8. From Barry Cullen:

We hugely enjoyed the yarn of your trip to Bimini. As T&R are down in Betty’s, Wendy read out the text and described your beautiful photos to Rosalind. They’ll see all on Monday. Enjoy the Bahamas!

Posted on 20. Nov, 2010 at 11:47 am #
  9. From Nix:

Hey sailors! Congrats on reaching the Bahamas safely, it looks incredible!! Very envious as we sit here in the rain (in November, can u believe it!?) Shot on catching the fish A, although knowing your fishing luck I am tending to agree about the photoshopping bit! jokes, – that’s one for the records, of course it wouldn’t go without drama hey? ! have fun guys!

Posted on 21. Nov, 2010 at 10:53 am #
  10. From Mum and Dad:

Wow! Stirring stuff! Thanks to Gill I now know that noreply@findmespot is not junkmail and I need not have had three anxious nights wondering whether you were joining Jonah or basking in the Bahamas! What a fish and fabulous pics!Loads of love.

Posted on 21. Nov, 2010 at 1:22 pm #
  11. From vanessa:

so bushy, you can fish!!!! Who would have thought! Enjoy, looks awesome!!

Posted on 22. Nov, 2010 at 5:33 pm #
  12. From Kirsty:

So lovely to hear all about your adventures! I admire you guys so much for living out your dream… it’s inspirational.

Looking forward to the next update!

Kirst

Posted on 23. Nov, 2010 at 11:09 am #
  13. From Adhil:

Hey you two!

We’re following your adventures closely, so keep us up to date! Everyone is suitably impressed, and quite excited by your journey.

Awesome pics so far, so keep it up!

Much love
    ARP

Posted on 23. Nov, 2010 at 11:12 am #
  14. From Rory:

Awesome work on your first crossing. Nix, at least you know A can navigate and that the plugged exam was just a bad day at the office :) The Bahamas look amazing, enjoy!

A, the fish we caught in Strawberry lane pond were way bigger than that sucker! Jokes, great fish, we now officially know that I am the bad luck charm on our fishing attempts. Keep well and travel safe.

Posted on 23. Nov, 2010 at 4:22 pm #
  15. From Adrian:

My photoshop skills are worse than my fishing skills!! It real… for true!

Posted on 25. Nov, 2010 at 12:15 am #